Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Hate My OB

The day started off okay. I woke up around seven, had breakfast and got ready to go see the OB. Nice and steady...

When I got into my car I see that OT had left the dome lights on. He had cleaned my car last night and they had been on ever since. My car started- just barely. After a text message to him regarding responsibility I was over it. When I got to the OB's office they called me back right away- I was amazed, I usually wait forever. Then they weigh me (that was okay, no change), then point me in the direction of the bathroom and ask me if I know what to do. I just laughed....do I know how to pee in a cup? When I got into the exam room it was obvious this medical assistant hadn't read my chart. It was also obvious that she was a fucking idiot when she said to me "You don't even look pregnant...I would have guessed you were eleven weeks at the most!". UGH!

Are. You. Kidding. Me.
What the hell does my non-pregnant body look like?! I find this comment very infuriating, not only because I feel like it's making less of my pregnancy, but also because of my history with bulimia (and I'm happy to say I've been in recovery for many years now, however it is an almost daily struggle).

Then after about 35 minutes of waiting in the exam room the physician's assistant (PA) comes in. She apologizes for the wait, and that I consider very thoughtful. My mood improves. Then she says to me "What's up, what's new?!" in a very nonchalant way. All I can say is "not much, same as always...", because nothing is really new. I have this baby inside. He moves. My back hurts. Then something pops into my head! I have a question....

Late last week when I was taking a shower I noticed hard tissue on my right breast. Hmmm...I kept feeling for it throughout the morning. When OT got home he felt it and I knew it wasn't just me. So I filed this in my brain for my appointment. When I tell the PA this she says "Do you want me to take a look at it?", um...no shit...why else would I bring it up? She feels it (not a very good exam by the way...) and then says this: "That's what's called the 'heel' of your breast. The tissue is very glandular. It's probably that way on both sides." Then I told her there was not hard mass on the left and that was that, my appointment was over!

I am beyond upset at the moment and I have a very bad headache from this mess, I can't even write anymore. I could expand on a few other things that are currently bothering me but I think that would be really unhealthy.Perhaps I will go take a nap and forget all about it....

3 comments:

SquishyCuteStuff said...

With the first pregnancy, I remember feeling so much of wanting to be round...my own little sign to the world that I was growing a special thing! And when people made comments like "Well, you don't even look pregnant", pissed me off beyond belief. But it is always someone else's perspective...once one patient told me I was barely showing, and the next room I walked into, the lady says I look like I am overdue with twins! Just remember, most of the well-meaning people in the world come off looking like idiots 80% of the time ;-)

SquishyCuteStuff said...

ps...I am not sure how far along you are in your pregnancy, but breast changes do occur. Just keep an eye on it, and definitely keep bringing it up at your appts (hopefully you get to see the actual dr sometimes).

bunzi said...

yes sleep does make most problems go away.. hope you feel better.

and....

CONGRATS! baby time. :D