Friday, July 25, 2008

Making Soap

When I first got the idea to make soaps I was so excited and ready to completely dive in. Then I read about the dangers of lye and wasn't so sure. We have two small dogs who love to eat anything and everything on the floor, not to mention that in a few short months we will have a toddler. I also wondered if I had the patience to let the soap cure for a million days. So, scratch that...no lye. As I discovered there is such a thing as melt and pour soap. Perfect- soap making with out really making soap. I think I would call it "soap designing". Yes. I'm a soap designer!

Anyhoo, this is a peek at my very first venture into soap designing:






For my soap mold I used a cupcake pan with liners. Don't these look like really old, really moldy cupcakes? Ha! Yes. Moldy cupcake soaps. The "mold" you see it matcha. I wanted it to tint the soaps a sage-y color, but that didn't exactly work out the way I wanted it to. I used patchouli and orange essential oils, I was left smelling like a clean, but dirty hippie. Amazing how one can be so clean but smell so not clean....

2 comments:

Lauri said...

Hey! I just found your blog from a comment you left on The Black Apple. I'm loving it so far...especially about the soap making. I don't make soaps, or candles, YET, but...I think I'm going to have to because I can't find ANYTHING that is scented with Patchouli anymore.

I had a friend that would make me Patchouli candles...ONLY for ME, she said, because she thinks they smell like dirt! lol! Long story...she isn't around to make them anymore.

I was thinking once the kids get back in school I can try something new like that. Everybody says I really am just an old hippy anyway. I was born in 1966...I guess it's just in my soul or something....

Scrumpkin said...

I *love* a patchouli and citrus combo, yum! Making your own soaps is totally fun and easy! I can't wait until my next soap making adventure....